Search for 3DCG and Blender related articles of interest:

Feb 20, 2013

Where does the German ä, ö, ü, and ß come from?

German has four unique characters, Ä/äÖ/öÜ/ü, and ß (called long s, or sz) which doesn't have an uppercase. None of these are considered part of the alphabet (unlike the Danish Ø), so if you're in school in Germany you say the alphabet from A to Z, then you say these at the end "äöü und ß". In a library you'll find book titles starting with Ä mixed in with book titles starting with A.

The umlaut characters (äöü) indicate a change in sound, and shouldn't be confused with the diaeresis which indicate a break in a syllable (usually in French and Spanish). In German, these characters began in the 16th century began using using the vowel paired with an E (ae, oe, ue, like seen in some old German last names), but over the centuries the e shifted above the letter, then slowly faded into the two dots we see today.

The ß is a symbols formed by mixing the old s, ſ, (as seen in the word Congreſs), and a cursive z. This pair of symbols were mixed together until it became a symbol of it's own.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's really a great and helpful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this helpful information with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

Here is my webpage; buy a flat

Anonymous said...

Wonderful site. Lots of useful information here.
I am sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious.
And certainly, thanks to your sweat!

Feel free to surf to my webpage - furnished property

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was
a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added
agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?


my blog buy a flat

Anonymous said...

After going over a handful of the blog articles on your web site,
I honestly like your technique of writing a blog.
I book marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back soon.
Please visit my web site as well and tell me what
you think.

Also visit my weblog; propertywide.co.uk